If visiting the dentist conjures up images of sharp instruments that whine, whir, and jab, then you’re in for a pleasant surprise when you visit Dr. Heather Fleschler. Laser dentistry is a revolutionary 21st century solution to age-old dental problems.
Dr. Fleschler uses the most advanced technology in order to deliver the exceptional results you deserve while providing high levels of comfort. To learn more about the state-of-the-art lasers we use, please call (713) 997-8999 today.
What Can Be Treated with Laser Dentistry?
Laser treatments can address a variety of dental issues, including the following:
- Tooth decay and gum disease: Dr. Fleschler uses lasers to remove decayed parts of a tooth before introducing a filling, and we can use low level laser light therapy to reduce inflammation and remove infected gum tissue during periodontal treatment.
- Root canals: Root canals have a reputation for being painful and lengthy, but using a laser allows Dr. Fleschler to remove bacterial infection more precisely and comfortably than with traditional mechanical tools.
- Gum recontouring: Dr. Fleschler uses a laser to reshape your gum tissue and eliminate a "gummy smile" during cosmetic gum recontouring procedures.
What Are the Advantages of Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry offers many advantages over the mechanical approaches you may be accustomed to. Specifically, laser therapy can:
- Reduce the pain associated with procedures like root canals and as a result, reduce our reliance on anesthesia.
- Reduce the amount of bleeding and swelling from the gums during gum disease treatment.
- Make patients more comfortable. Nobody likes the drill, but some are more anxious than others.
- Help Dr. Fleschler remove only tissue that needs removal, preserving more of your natural healthy tissue.
Are There Drawbacks?
Laser dentistry cannot be used in every situation. The following situations don’t lend themselves well to laser treatment and usually require that we use traditional mechanical methods:
- Teeth with existing fillings
- Cavities located between teeth
- Preparatory work for locating dental bridges
- Preparatory work for crowns
- Old fillings, including silver
Laser dentistry also costs more than traditional methods, but most patients would say that the cost is worth the increased comfort and precision that it offers.
To learn more about laser dentistry and the exciting new possibilities it offers our patients, please call (713) 997-8999 or contact Dr. Heather Fleschler online today to schedule an appointment. We serve patients in the Houston, Texas areas of River Oaks, West University, Meyerland, and Bellaire.