When a tooth becomes damaged due to a chip, crack, or decay, the risk of infection increases significantly. Dental crowns are an excellent way to restore optimal strength and function to the tooth and protect it from additional damage down the road.
This page will provide an overview of the dental crown procedure, but it cannot make any recommendations on your specific oral health issue. The best way to determine whether a crown is the best option for you is to speak with Dr. Heather Fleschler in person. Please call (713) 660-6500 today to review your restorative and cosmetic dentistry options.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dr. Fleschler uses the finest quality porcelain with her dental crown restorations in order to deliver beautiful, natural looking results that enhance the appearance of your smile. Since your dental crown covers the visible part of your tooth, it can improve the aesthetics of your smile while simultaneously restoring full functionality to the tooth.
Other benefits of dental crowns include:
- Restores your chewing ability so that you can eat your favorite foods without concern
- Provides support and protection for chipped or cracked teeth
- Restores a balanced bite by addressing alignment issues associated with misshapen or missing teeth
A Versatile Restoration
Dental crowns can be used to address a wide range of oral health issues, including:
- Cover a tooth with a large dental filling that has minimal natural tooth structure remaining
- Protect a weak tooth from decay or fracture
- Support a dental bridge
- Restore a severely worn or broken tooth
- Function as a prosthetic tooth for a dental implant
- Improve the appearance of an irregularly shaped tooth
Your Dental Crown Procedure
Dr. Fleschler uses all-porcelain crowns with all of her patients in order to deliver the exceptional results you deserve. With the IPS e.max® Press process, your porcelain crown can provide you with all the support and structure of a regular tooth. Your dental crown can be color-matched to the shade of your natural teeth, letting you remain confident in your smile and assuring strangers will be none the wiser.
Your dental crown procedure can be completed in just two visits to our Houston cosmetic dentistry office. During your first visit, Dr. Fleschler will get rid of any decay in your tooth and take an impression that will be used by the lab in the construction of your dental crown. A temporary crown will be placed on your tooth to protect it until your permanent crown is completed.
During your second visit, Dr. Fleschler will place the dental crown on your tooth and bond it securely using a special adhesive.