SERVING HOUSTON, SUGAR LAND, PASADENA & NEARBY AREAS OF TEXAS
If the thought of visiting the dentist makes you anxious, you’re not alone. Patients frequently avoid surgeries, put off cleanings, and postpone other treatments that can improve their oral health. But with sedation dentistry, there’s no need to be afraid of the dentist any longer.
Dr. Heather Fleschler is pleased to offer two sedation dentistry options to her patients to take the fear out of going to the dentist. To find out which option is best for you, please call (713) 660-6500 today to schedule an appointment with our West University sedation dentist.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
As the name implies, sedation dentistry is the practice of performing dental procedures on a patient who has received a sedative agent. Sedatives suppress the normal activity of the parts of the central nervous system associated with consciousness and awareness to help patients feel calm and relaxed.
What Are the Advantages of Sedation Dentistry?
Dental professionals have long relied on sedation for invasive procedures like tooth extraction, root canal therapy, and placement of dental implants. But dentists increasingly offer sedation to patients who experience so much anxiety that they might otherwise avoid checkups, cleanings, and other procedures.
Sedation dentistry offers patients many benefits:
- Patient relaxation and comfort
- Suppression of gag reflex
- Virtually no memory of the treatment
- Ability to undergo multiple procedures at one time
And when you are relaxed and comfortable, Dr. Fleschler is able to perform dental procedures much more efficiently. Many patients who have difficulty sitting still or require a large amount of dental work find that sedation dentistry lets them get in and out of the dentist’s office much more quickly than if they were fully conscious.
Sedation Dentistry Options
Dr. Fleschler offers the following sedation dentistry options:
- Oral conscious sedation: In this kind of sedation, you take oral sedative medications the night before and immediately prior to undergoing a dental procedure. Because the medication is internally absorbed, you’ll continue to feel drowsy for a period of time after your procedure, so you’ll need to ask a friend or family member to take you home.
- Nitrous oxide sedation: Nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, is a colorless, odorless gas that encourages relaxation. The mechanism by which nitrous oxide works is immediate, which means you’ll begin to relax as soon as you inhale it through the nasal mask. After your procedure, you’ll return to normal consciousness as soon as the mask is removed, so there’s no residual drowsiness.
Dr. Fleschler also offers NuCalm, an all-natural alternative to sedation dentistry that will provide you with a more relaxed and comfortable dental experience.
If fear and anxiety have kept you from visiting the dentist, now is the time to discover how sedation dentistry can improve your oral health comfortably and conveniently. Please contact Dr. Heather Fleschler online or by calling (713) 660-6500 today to schedule an appointment. Dr. Fleschler proudly serves patients in the Houston, Texas areas of West University, Bellaire, Meyerland, and River Oaks