There are many reasons people avoid visiting the dentist, fear and anxiety among them. If you shudder just at the thought of going to the dentist, have a low pain threshold, have sensitive teeth or a bad gag reflex, or if you have a long or difficult procedure scheduled, then perhaps sedation dentistry is right for you. Sedation dentistry uses medication to help you relax throughout your procedure.
There are several levels of sedation:
- Minimal: you are awake but relaxed
- Moderate: you may not remember much of the procedure
- Deep: you are on the edge of consciousness but can still be awakened
As there are differing levels of sedation, there are differing types and not all sedation types are the same:
- Inhaled minimal sedation: you breathe nitrous oxide gas during your treatment
- Oral sedation: you take a pill that places you in a relaxed state
- IV moderate: you receive the drug through a vein, so it begins to work more quickly
In addition to any sedation medications, you will also typically receive local anesthesia to numb the site of the procedure and relieve any discomfort.
Dr. Heather Fleschler also offers NuCalm®, an all-natural way to experience a relaxing dental visit that makes use of stress intervention techniques such as listening to soothing music and wearing a light-blocking eye mask.
For more information on sedation dentistry or to see if it may work for you, please contact Dr. Heather Fleschler using the form at the right side of the page or call (713) 660-6500 today to schedule a consultation. Dr. Fleschler serves the West University, Bellaire, and River Oaks areas of Houston.