Tips to Avoid Bad Oral Habits During Summer Vacation
- Posted on: May 26 2016
School is out, and it’s time for summer vacation! However, that doesn’t just mean warm, long days filled with playground fun. It can also be a gateway to unhealthy habits. To help keep your smile healthy, and to help you avoid these common bad habits, Dr. Heather Fleschler has gathered some useful tips that can be used all summer—and year— long.
When you and your family break from your regular routine and find yourself on vacation, it is very common to be drawn to juices, carbonated drinks, alcohol and foods high in acid and sugar. These bad habits can cause erosion of the tooth enamel, resulting in potential dental issues, including:
To curb these bad summer-time habits and protect your teeth, Dr. Fleschler recommends using the following guidelines:
- Limit sugary drinks.
- Drink with a straw to avoid acidic beverages wearing on your teeth.
- Drink plenty of water between meals.
- Avoid excessive snacking.
- Wait to brush your teeth after having acidic foods or drinks.
- Schedule a dental check-up or cleaning during the summer or before a trip.
- Keep up on your oral hygiene routine.
- Stock your kitchen with plenty of healthy alternatives.
- Keep a dental emergency kit on hand (include towel, gauze, small container with a lid, ibuprofen and your dentist’s contact info).
Maintaining a healthy smile can ultimately keep your body healthy as well. By implementing good habits during the summer, you will have an easier transition when school reopens and the kids are back to their normal routines. Not to mention, it will be easier to keep these habits all year long!
If you would like to schedule your dental check-up or consultation, give our office a call at (713) 660-6500. We proudly serve patients in the West University, Bellaire and surrounding Houston, Texas areas.
Posted in: General Dentistry